History of Mystic Realm
Mystic Realm has come a long way from where it started. The original idea behind Mystic Realm was simple:
Extend SRB2 beyond the three zones that are included, by adding the levels that I had created on my own onto
the end. Thanks to the level headers in Final Demo, this was possible, so it started there.
For a while afterwords, I simply extended it by adding new levels as I built them. Eventually it started
getting rather large, but it was unbalanced and didn't have logical progression, because it simply added onto
the end of the game.
Version 4 included much more than ever before, making the mod a full game in its own right. There are
plenty of new zones, and the zones from before have been edited, some minor, some drastic. Hopefully with
the advent of SRB2 1.1, I can include even more than my original plan intended for. It's not like this
hasn't gone well beyond the original intent at this point.
- Ported to SRB2 v.2.0.
- Small modifications to the bosses to make them less unfair.
- Knuckles can climb walls in SPZ and AGZ to prevent unwinnable situations due to
his lower jump height in 2.0.
- Added unlockables and upped emblem count to 75.
- Fixed a bunch of random stuff, and made tweaks where I felt it was appropriate.
- Revamped Jade Coast 1 so that it's no longer as cramped.
- Added textures to make it possible to see breakable walls. (Thanks, Blaze!)
- Added Golden Sands Zone for Race mode.
- Added two CTF stages, one old and one new.
- Modified several parts of the game to be a little more forgiving and/or because they were unfair
to the player.
- Revamped Aerial Garden's emerald stage.
- Levels no longer reset upon dying. Mystic Temples, falling platforms, and switches stay active
after the player has died.
- Various bugfixes and little tweaks. A certain hidden stage will not crash out the game on level
load anymore, among other things.
- Added something a little special ^_~
- Added little modifcations to make characters than cannot spin, such as Amy, capable of
completing the game with all emeralds.
- Added some match stages to the pack.
- Lots of bugfixes and little tweaks. Hopefully Sunken Plant 2 won't SIGSEGV all the time now.
- Added two new three-act zones: Tempest Valley Zone and Sunken Plant Zone.
- Added seven one-act zones to house each of the chaos emeralds.
- Added a section for when Sonic has all emeralds on Normal or higher.
- Added emblems to the stages. Try to get all fifty!
- Retextured Flame Rift Zone and changed the enemies.
- Added snow pack to Midnight Freeze and changed the enemies.
- Revamped Aerial Garden Zone completely.
- Renamed Crawla Isle Zone to Jade Coast Zone.
- Removed the original SRB2 levels from the rotation.
- Added a title screen logo by Blaze. Thanks to a441 for fixing the red stars, as well.
- Added an original soundtrack by RedXVI and Arrow. Thank you both a ton.
- Generally altered levels to do various things, from game balance to adding scenery.
- Added Midnight Freeze Zone.
- Retextured Verdant Forest Zone and changed the enemies.
- Retextured Final Zone, and renamed it.
- Optimized the levels using DoomBuilder.
- Fixed a lot of texture problems.
- Changed the powerups a bit around the levels, mostly adding extra lives.
- Changed the music, and added custom music for Verdant Forest and Aerial Garden,
thanks to Arrow.
- Renamed the pack AGAIN to "Mystic Realm", where it should stay.
- Added Flame Rift Zone.
- Renamed the pack to "Mystic Way".