History of Mystic Realm
Mystic Realm has come a long way from where it started. The original idea behind Mystic Realm was simple: Extend SRB2 beyond the three zones that are included, by adding the levels that I had created on my own onto the end. Thanks to the level headers in Final Demo, this was possible, so it started there.
For a while afterwords, I simply extended it by adding new levels as I built them. Eventually it started
getting rather large, but it was unbalanced and didn't have logical progression, because it simply added onto the end of the game.
Version 4 included much more than ever before, making the mod a full game in its own right. There are
plenty of new zones, and the zones from before have been edited, some minor, some drastic. Hopefully I can include even more than my original plan intended for. It's not like this hasn't gone well beyond the original intent at this point.
- Ported to SRB2 v.2.1. Thanks to Prime for porting his SOC as usual.
- Changed the unlockable structure to finally handle the secret stages. You can now access Prismatic Angel and Mystic Realm Zones from the Secrets menu after completing them.
- Fixed a few minor bugs.
- Ported to SRB2 v.2.0.
- Small modifications to the bosses to make them less unfair.
- Knuckles can climb walls in SPZ and AGZ to prevent unwinnable situations due to
his lower jump height in 2.0.
- Added unlockables and upped emblem count to 75.
- Fixed a bunch of random stuff, and made tweaks where I felt it was appropriate.
- Revamped Jade Coast 1 so that it's no longer as cramped.
- Added textures to make it possible to see breakable walls. (Thanks, Blaze!)
- Added Golden Sands Zone for Race mode.
- Added two CTF stages, one old and one new.
- Modified several parts of the game to be a little more forgiving and/or because they were unfair
to the player.
- Revamped Aerial Garden's emerald stage.
- Levels no longer reset upon dying. Mystic Temples, falling platforms, and switches stay active
after the player has died.
- Various bugfixes and little tweaks. A certain hidden stage will not crash out the game on level
load anymore, among other things.
- Added something a little special ^_~
- Added little modifcations to make characters than cannot spin, such as Amy, capable of
completing the game with all emeralds.
- Added some match stages to the pack.
- Lots of bugfixes and little tweaks. Hopefully Sunken Plant 2 won't SIGSEGV all the time now.
- Added two new three-act zones: Tempest Valley Zone and Sunken Plant Zone.
- Added seven one-act zones to house each of the chaos emeralds.
- Added a section for when Sonic has all emeralds on Normal or higher.
- Added emblems to the stages. Try to get all fifty!
- Retextured Flame Rift Zone and changed the enemies.
- Added snow pack to Midnight Freeze and changed the enemies.
- Revamped Aerial Garden Zone completely.
- Renamed Crawla Isle Zone to Jade Coast Zone.
- Removed the original SRB2 levels from the rotation.
- Added a title screen logo by Blaze. Thanks to a441 for fixing the red stars, as well.
- Added an original soundtrack by RedXVI and Arrow. Thank you both a ton.
- Generally altered levels to do various things, from game balance to adding scenery.
- Added Midnight Freeze Zone.
- Retextured Verdant Forest Zone and changed the enemies.
- Retextured Final Zone, and renamed it.
- Optimized the levels using DoomBuilder.
- Fixed a lot of texture problems.
- Changed the powerups a bit around the levels, mostly adding extra lives.
- Changed the music, and added custom music for Verdant Forest and Aerial Garden,
thanks to Arrow.
- Renamed the pack AGAIN to "Mystic Realm", where it should stay.
- Added Flame Rift Zone.
- Renamed the pack to "Mystic Way".